- This event has passed.
Beyond the Bolt: Frankenstein and its (Un)Likenesses
October 28, 2016
Una giornata di studio dedicata alla riscoperta di Frankenstein di Mary Shelley
(A one-day symposium)
The event celebrates the bicentenary of the composition of Frankenstein (1818). The event will include four academic talks about some of the transits investing the novel, in particular its transmedia afterlives (cartoons, science fiction, sequels, stage adaptations). The final talk will discuss the Edison Studios’ Frankenstein (1910), which will be screened in the Main Auditorium. It will be followed by a post film screening discussion with the speakers led by the symposium organizer. Finally, the keynote talk will explore Frankenstein’s dark Romanticism. The event will be open to students of the Universita’ della Tuscia as well as to select final-year high-school students. The event is free. An illustrated booklet with a short history of the composition and reception of the novel across the media will be distributed to the students.
Keynote speaker: Mirella Billi, Emerita, Professor of English Literature, Universita’ della Tuscia
- Diego Saglia, Professor of English Literature, Universita’ di Parma
- Anna Enrichetta Soccio, Associate Professor of English Literature, Universita’ “G. d’Annunzio” di Chieti
- Gino Roncaglia, Associate Professor, Digital Humanities and History of the Book, Universita’ della Tuscia
- Federico Meschini, Lecturer, Digital Humanities, Universita’ della Tuscia
Final talk and film screening of the Edison Studios’ Frankenstein (1910), followed by post film screening discussion
- Francesca Saggini, Professor of English Literature and Film Studies, Universita’ della Tuscia
Chairs and respondents: Benedetta Bini, Professor in English Literature, Universita’ della Tuscia, and Francesca Saggini, Professor of English Literature, Universita’ della Tuscia
Graduate assistants and Conference Team: Alberta Boschi, Jessica Cesti, Maria Cristina Tamagnini